PDA

View Full Version : What means VPU RECOVERY not working properly

grilzzz
08-01-2007, 09:17 AM
i think my pc catches a virus or my graphic card is broke.. but i am a real real noob in pc things.. what does it means.. My problem is that i dont see colours anymore when starting a pc, sometimes i only see 1 big black screen. and it says something about VPC or VPU not working good.. so can it b my grahpic cards?

Why i thnk this is viris.. my pc says u can send this error report to ATI technologies( i ahve amd 1.8mhz). so i did send it, but then another pop up come and say sumthing like this.. an automatic email sender wants to acces ur pc.. i can choose to let him acces or click no..

any1 have this problem before?.. i wish i can solve this. i cant even go to my pc for 1 minute or he is acting stranger and stranger. Im not on my lil sis pc..

i hope you guys have an answer for me :(

Zirtox
08-01-2007, 09:32 AM
haven't seen this before... but you better don't waste time with the support... they don't help a lot often. So NEVER let them access your system for sure !!
Thats all I can help actually, you can always format your PC, so it will be solved, but there are probably better methods tos olve this...

grilzzz
08-01-2007, 09:36 AM
@ zirtox, yeh thnx for ur reply, i nvr let them acces to my pc, i aint that stupid :)..
Yeh i hope there is another way to solve this problem!

Quest
10-01-2007, 06:16 AM
VPU recovery is a process that kicks in whenever any ATi graphic card confronts serious errors and it usually means that the card shuts down and restarts to avoid irreparable damage.
The thing about "ATi connecting to my computer" is innexistent. What happens is that after such recovery happens you can send them a report about it that would possibly help them fix it in the next drivers version. What happened to you is that probably you have firewall or such which asked naturally if you allow the program to connect to internet to send the report. As for now I don't think it helps you to send them the report anyway, your problem might already have been fixed, or has other causes.
One sollution maybe could be this: download the latest ATi driver for your graphic card from here (http://ati.de/support/driver.html) and install it. If you don't know what graphic card you have just right click on desktop> properties> settings> advanced> adapter. And do check your air flow in the computer case. Maybe the card is getting too hot and this happens, in which case try to rearrange your cables or something. This is most likely to happen if the card has a passive cooling (heatsink).
Anyway do tell what graphic card you have, and from what manufacturer.
Hope it helps!

grilzzz
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
omfg qeust ! this post should get a nomination.. and if this solve my problem u should get a award!!..

i will try, i hope my pc gives me enuff time to download it and look up.

Also u say about the heat.. that can b a problem too, i did let the pc stands online for 4 days or so without shutting it down so it could cool off.. But i do not know how to check this tho, if the card is to hot or not..

ok i will go on my own pc and try see what card i have.. wish me luck!

grilzzz
11-01-2007, 05:45 AM
hey, im really trying but my pc wont let me go in.. when i get on desktop it show a black screen, so i cant go to this page for the link, and also not see my graphic card.. what do i do?.. is there another way to get in? or mayb just buy a new ghrapic card? im hopeless now

Quest
12-01-2007, 04:59 AM
What you could do is to press F8 before the Windows XP loading screen kicks in and select from there "safe mode". This would help you to see what graphic card you have, but i am not quite sure if it would allow you to install the drivers. You can select "safe mode and networking" and go to the internet to download the driver but you should unplug the cable previously, start in safe mode+networking, start the firewall(if any), start the antivirus, then plug the cable back in. The cable that I'm talking about is obviously the one to your router/modem.
I personally would recommend another way to do it: download the drivers from another computer. Notice that the drivers represent only 1 file and works for all ATi cards so it wouldn't be necesary to find out what graphic card you have first.
But this might not help as well because I have some doubts that safe mode allows USB sticks or CD/DVD and, ultimately, the installation of the drivers from that file.
So before clearing my doubts try this: go to safe mode (the regular one), go to device manager>display adapters (you know where to find it from previous post), right click on your graphic card (note what type it is before), > properties> driver, and there press uninstall. Restart computer normally and see if you can get to windows. If you can, ignore the install video adapter drivers / new device found dialogs from windows so far, go and take the drivers from the website and install them. Who knows, maybe it works.
And if not and not what it would help is having your card tested at a friend, a tech-savvy friend that is, and which i doubt you have :) because he would've solved your problems by now.

Casper
14-01-2007, 09:14 PM
You should Google it. Seems like lotsa ppl have met and still meeting this problem.

here you go, a clue I saw on some forum:

"I have been experiencing the VPU recovery problem for over a year now. I know exactly what you are talking about and have tried many of the same suggestions from not using SP2 to BIOS updates. From what i gather, its an interaction between the motherboard and the videocard. The only fix that i have been able to find is using old catalyst drivers such as 3.7 and then using a smartgart unistalling program. It can have noticable negative effects on graphics, but you come to a point where you just want the thing to work (and it does work, i havent had a crash since) I recently updated to the newest catalyst drivers and guess who showed up again.... mr. VPU Recovery. I'm still searching for a better answer, but i doubt i will find one. i'll probably end up buying a new motherboard (then have the same problem and curse my maker)"

"Is it possible your graphics card is overheating? Make sure that the fan on your graphics card is getting power and running fine. Also, make sure that your graphics card is getting enough power. Some graphics cards require an additional connection to the power supply."

p.s. keep in mind that this was an year old info. if downgrading drivers ppl wrote this are talking about 5.1 version. dunno if the latest one can solve the prob

grilzzz
15-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Reading qeusts post i have a headache:P.. not that it was bad post, but hard for me to understand since i have no idea what some terms mean.. i also have pc in dutch language, but i will give it a try, and let ya know how things goes.

@ casper, ah so i know now its not a virus.. its my grahpic card or motherboard.

thnx all again.. i will try

grilzzz
17-01-2007, 06:40 PM
the latest neews, is i changed new ghrapic card, geforce, no idea if its good or not.. but i can go work with pc now, only not mu :(

thnx for the great help all.. i really appreicate it.. class!!