Twilight MU Online Forum

Twilight MU Online Forum (http://forum.twilightmu.com/index.php)
-   Hardware/Software Section (http://forum.twilightmu.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   I don't know what to look for in a computer... (http://forum.twilightmu.com/showthread.php?t=43109)

Enlighten 13-01-2013 01:09 AM

I don't know what to look for in a computer...

I'm looking to buy a new desktop computer since it's been about 8 years since my last one, and about 5 years since I bought my laptop (which I'm giving away soon anyway). Unfortunately, I don't know what to look for. Naive-me normally goes with bigger numbers, but I'm quite certain that's most definitely the wrong and stupid thing to do when looking at things such as graphics cards and such.

I don't want to build a computer from scratch (you might say it's easy and whatnot, but I will most likely fuck it up. I'd rather pay an extra hundred or so for labour and have someone professional to do it (i.e. pay for a built up computer).

I've been looking around, and this is probably one of (if it isn't) the cheapest website to buy computers in my area. You should note when looking at the prices that things are often a tad more expensive here in Australia, when compared to countries such as the USA.

This computer is currently the most preferred one on the website for me. Unfortunately, there isn't much information about the hardware and components because it all depends on what's in stock when you go in to buy it. I was wondering if anyone could help guide me as to what to look for. Different brands or functions? # MHz, # GHz? - it's all a foreign language to me...

I'd appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you.

P.S. This is probably my second option if the above was an absolute horrible option.

Shock3X 24-01-2013 11:58 AM

I'm no pro but the 1st seems powerful as hell and the 2nd is a bit less powerful. Neither shouldn't let you down :D You can't really go wrong if you put $1 400 into a built up machine WELL you'd get more value if you built it yourself :rolleyes: but I see where you're coming from.

i7 3770K Used to be Intel's top notch CPU when it came out last spring so undoubtly it'll still do fine. i5 is a bit weaker, compared here: Intel Core i7-3770K @ 3.50GHz and Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40GHz

the HD 7950 is the second best card from AMD (I think) so it's no shame to the machine. Also the HD 7850 is well in line with the i5 processor so IMO it suits the build aswell, both cards compared here: Radeon HD 7950 and Radeon HD 7850

For the rest I can't really say anything, someone better educated could give an opinion here.

Enlighten 24-01-2013 10:26 PM

Thanks mate!

I've asked around, and this is going to be the build I end up going for:

Gigabyte 2G GTX660OC N660OC-2GD $237
Intel Core i7 3820 3.6GHz LGA2011 $294
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4G) 1866MHz DDR3 CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R $125
WD Caviar Green 2TB WD20EARX $98
Aerocool StrikeX Black Advance with Front USB3 $89
Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3 LGA2011 Mainboard $218
Thermaltake 800W TR2 Bronze TR-800P $122

Thinking about not getting an internal HDD, and just getting an SSD instead? I have an external HDD and don't really plan on filling my computer up with junk. Was thinking of getting an SSD around 120-240GB.
Also thinking of getting a lower PSU, maybe Aerocool VP750 750W True Power PSU... Which is cheaper. Don't think I'll be using 800W. I can upgrade it in the future anyway.

Others have said 16GB of ram is a bit much but I intend on keeping this computer forever and building it up over time, so I want to have more just in case.

Shock3X 25-01-2013 11:02 AM

Well I don't see major problems with that loadout and as for the should you take the internal HDD or external, I'd go for the internal, it's just more handy and might be faster in data transfer (dunno how it compares to for instance USB 3.0) I think the newest trend is to have SSD and HDD, put OS to SSD to make it run more fluently and use HDD for storage.

And for the GFX card GTX660 isn't that miraculous (I have in fact 660 too altho I paid 260€ from mine you found it cheap lucky sob) I'd probably choose a more powerful and more in-line card with that setup.

You won't need that much RAM (if you aren't some kind of hc video editor etc) but if you got it foor good value and it suits your budget, why the heck no :D

Enlighten 25-01-2013 01:55 PM

Ooh. I will take these points into consideration before I buy. Thank you! This info was extremely useful.

FireStorm 25-01-2013 05:29 PM

TO GET THE BEST OUT OF THESE NEW hARD DRIVES, MAKE SURE THE BOARD IS SATA 3. and very high cache the higher the better. Great that you went with nividia, instead of shitty ati. Also look into the new amd 8 cores, which is a step- better than the I7. Also make sure the board can handle up to 32gb or more of ram.

Enlighten 25-01-2013 06:50 PM

Thanks Frank! I was hoping you'd contribute a little of your vast knowledge to this thread hehe. :D

Edit: Sorry, not sure which number you're referring to when you talk about the 'cache'?

FireStorm 25-01-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlighten (Post 282448)
Thanks Frank! I was hoping you'd contribute a little of your vast knowledge to this thread hehe. :D

Edit: Sorry, not sure which number you're referring to when you talk about the 'cache'?

64mb cache is whats on most hard drives, i would go with a 4tb 128mb cache Hard drive. with sata 3 a good cpu and high ram your transfer and speed rate will be a snap of a finger. very smooth, you will also have a quieter computer.
http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard...acity-3-5-hdd/

Enlighten 25-01-2013 10:00 PM

Thanks Frank! I'm also thinking of getting an SSD. Should I be looking out for SATA3 as well, or does it not matter as much?

I've heard from a few people that the AMD Radeon 7950 is better than the GTX 660 OC, and is a bit cheaper as well. Is AMD also better than ATI? Haha

Edit: Scratch that, looked around and NVIDIA is cheaper lol

FireStorm 25-01-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enlighten (Post 282453)
Thanks Frank! I'm also thinking of getting an SSD. Should I be looking out for SATA3 as well, or does it not matter as much?

I've heard from a few people that the AMD Radeon 7950 is better than the GTX 660 OC, and is a bit cheaper as well. Is AMD also better than ATI? Haha

Edit: Scratch that, looked around and NVIDIA is cheaper lol

Stay away from ati, incompatable with some games, also lack of updated drivers, nividia updates their drivers every 3 months ,and is on the cutting edge of shader 3.0 while ati is not. Ati is incompatable with certain emulators like t he dolphin wii and the ps2 emulators.

Oh yeah AMD is the cpu, not a graphic card.